I’ve finished a *draft* google earth (.kmz) file with locations of Australian languages, organised by family and subgroup.
Some things to note:
- You may use these files for education and research purposes only.
- NO commercial use under any circumstances without my written permission.
- NO republication any any circumstances without my written permission.
- You may quote from these files. Please use the following citation: Bowern, C. (2011). Centroid Coordinates for Australian Languages v2.0. Google Earth .kmz file, available from http://pantheon.yale.edu/~clb3/
- These files represent my compilation of many available sources, but are known to be deficient in a number of areas. Some sources are irreconcilable. This work is unsuitable for use as evidence in Native Title (land) claims.
- Please do not repost or circulate these files. Send interested people to this page. I will be updating the files from time to time.
- Please let me know of errors! The easiest way to do this is to change the polygon or centroid point for the language(s) you are correcting, and send me that item as a kml file.
- If you use derivatives of this file (e.g. you calculate language areas from it, convert it to ArcGIS, etc), that’s fine, but please send me a copy of the derivative file